South Australia’s heritage is a unique, priceless community asset. It generates enormous social, cultural, and economic value.
For 66 years, the National Trust of South Australia has worked to ensure our built, cultural, and natural heritage is both:
- Protected from needless demolition and neglect
- Publicly accessible, kept in the hands of the community
We advocate for robust heritage protections, forward thinking policy, and strategic management of our heritage assets for the benefit of current and future generations. As a community-based organisation, we champion the role of the public in decision-making about our heritage.
Over the last several years, under multiple state governments:
- Our heritage protections have been severely undermined by new planning rules
- The rights of local communities and councils to be informed and participate in decisions about local heritage have been greatly weakened
- Significant public heritage places have been lost or put at serious risk.
We established ‘Heritage For The People’ the damaging changes to our heritage and planning systems that continue to wreck havoc, and to move the community to action, so that we can reverse these changes.